Problems with X surfaced recently

Fri Feb 6 01:40:00 GMT 2009

Linda Walsh wrote:

> I updated my Cygwin software about 2 weeks ago but didn't try
> out the X-server.

Cygwin-X questions go to the cygwin-xfree list.

> I mostly use the shell tools which seemed fine.  But today I noticed
> some problems in my X-based utils -- first from Linux-based
> computers displaying onto my cygwin-box, and 2nd a slightly
> different error when trying run X-utils locally.
>
> I looked through the recent announcements/postings and saw the I
> the ANNOUNCEMENTS about setup and X problems and updated everything
> to the latest.
>
> I'm still having problems.
>
> The main and most serious problem for me is that remote X
> apps and the local X-version of rxvt, open X-display windows
> on the local cygwin-box, BUT allow no keyboard input.

Did you miss this FAQ?

<http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-i-cant-type-anything>

> I also found that Local X-apps, Xterm and Xmined (randomly
> chosen x-app) fail with (displayed in local cmd-BASH window):
>
> Warning: Cannot convert string
> "-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*" to type
> FontStruct
> Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
> Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
> Error: Aborting: no font found

Or this one?

<http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-where-are-my-fonts>

> FYI: If I start the non-X version of rxvt, I get double-wide
> spacing of characters -- as if it is having some unicode
> spacing problem.
>
> Attached is output of cygcheck.txt.

Thanks for following the problem reporting protocol concerning cygcheck
output. :-)

Holliston, MA 01746