How does one find where Cygwin was installed from Windows?

Tue Feb 10 04:22:00 GMT 2009

On 02/09/2009, Linda Walsh wrote:
>     I.e. maybe Cygwin should add an "official dir" in the
> system (for an all-user install), or user (for a 1-user install)
> environment (stored in the registry), so add-on applications that
> rely on Cygwin or rely on knowing where it was installed will work.
>
>     It's not like in Windows where you can add something to
> the linux-registry, "/etc", or path-specific part "/etc/profile.d"
> and have other apps pick up this information.  It would make
> more sense to put it in a registry environment variable.
>
>     What do you think?

Actually, this has been discussed already and has been resolved by
having 1.7's 'setup.exe' putting the Cygwin root installation directory
in... the registry!  See HKLM/Software/Cygwin/setup, the "rootdir"
value.

I know, it's not in the environment.  That might be nicer.  But such
a change could spoil my "there's no good way" statement so I can't
endorse it. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746