RFE?: CygWinDir in ENV? (was Re: How does one find where Cygwin was installed from Windows?)

Tue Feb 10 21:04:00 GMT 2009

Tim McDaniel wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, Linda Walsh <cygwin <AT> tlinx <DOT> org> wrote:
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

>> Then anything else in "Cygwin" that uses paths -- including setup's
>> "cygwin.bat" could use %CygWinDir%
>
> Not that there's being a vote taken or anything, but I would like to
> support that notion.  I have several "trampoline" scripts, a bat file
> doing nothing but invoking a corresponding bash shell script or Perl
> program.  I have to hard-code a location for the bash / perl
> interpreter, but those locations change from user to user (some people
> install under c:\, some under the standard location).  I would like to
> have the scripts work for any system.

This can be done now, if you look back through the thread to all the
different options I outlined and even a few scripts others have thrown
in.  What Linda is proposing here is simply having the mechanism for
communicating this be an environment variable.  While this could arguably
make it easier to do what you want, it doesn't mean that you can't do
it now for either Cygwin 1.5 or the upcoming 1.7 (though you may be
required to do something different for 1.5 and 1.7.)

Holliston, MA 01746