How does one find where Cygwin was installed from Windows?

Lee D.Rothstein lee@veritech.com
Fri Feb 13 23:09:00 GMT 2009

>     It's not like in Windows where you can add something to
> the linux-registry, "/etc", or path-specific part "/etc/profile.d"
> and have other apps pick up this information.  It would make
> more sense to put it in a registry environment variable.
>
>     What do you think?

'setx.exe' a CLI utility on Vista and XP system (2000?), allows you to
set an evironment variable, say, CYGWIN_ROOT, and/or CYGWIN_BIN, that
percolates up to the System or User Enviroment variable space. It comes
with Windows. Wouldn't this make more sense than messing with the
registry directly. 'setx' can be run from a Cygwin shell. I've tried it.
It works (Vista Home Premium 64b with Cygwin 1.5).