Conjoining Setup & CygWine & Some Other Requirements. Was: Re: CygWine 1.0 Beta -- an new cygwin package manager

Lee D.Rothstein lee@veritech.com
Sat Feb 14 01:30:00 GMT 2009

I found Brant & Warren Young and Dave Korn, et al's comments
about a possible conjoined 'setup', and the unfortunately
named (& soon to be renamed -- TYVM), 'cygwine', and the
requirements thereto (;-)), to be right to the point.

I would like to suggest two new features for the
setup/command line. The specification of an initial user-
defined script (filename) that gets executed prior to
getting into the meat of 'setup', and one that executes
after.

* The purpose of the initial script could be to (among other
  things) save some configuration info before running setup,
  including:
  > Look to see if there is a newer 'setup.exe' that takes
    precedence over the one you are using
  > Saving the registry
  > On Vista, a recovery point.
  > Running mount -m and saving to a script file.
  > It doesn't even matter that Cygwin doesn't really impose
    any risk, it just creates a good excuse to save
    Windows/the user (e.g., me) from it-/his-/her-self.
  > Saving .../bin, etc. directory lists for later diffs.
  > Storage consumed by the /... tree, before update

* The purpose of the concluding script could be to (among
  other things)
  > Run 'makewhatis' to update the 'whatis'/'apropos'
    database
  > Locate updated documentation: 'man', 'info', HTML, FAQs,
    README, etc.
  > Creating PDF documents out of select new 'man', 'info', HTML
    and text documents.
  > Create pseudo 'man' pages of 'info' trees using some of
    the 'info' command line dump options.
  > Computing diffs on .../bin, etc directory lists.
  > Storage consumed by the /... tree, after update.
  > View the setup log file, automatically
  > Download the latest OLOCA so "you" can be as hip as
    the Cygwin movers and shakers ;-)

Now, you could run setup from within a script in order to
invoke the initial and final scripts but this would create
conflicts with installs of busy components caused by the
script(s).

Lee

P.S. I volunteer, in advance, to write/organize/format/
     whats-ever-required in/of/by/to/from the
     documentation, if anyone is interested, starting with
     the current 'setup' update effort and spanning through
     the conjoined effort.