Does CYGWIN work on Windows 2008 x86 architecture ?

Freddy Jensen jensen@adobe.com
Mon Feb 16 16:16:00 GMT 2009

   >From: Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com>
   >Date: Mon Feb 16 2009  3:07am
   >To:   "cygwin@cygwin.com" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
   >Subj: Re: Does CYGWIN work on Windows 2008 x86 architecture ?
   >
   >On Feb 16 11:05, Martine Carannante wrote:
   >> Hi
   >>
   >> I try again to ask if someone has installed CYGWIN on Windows 2008 x86
   >> architecture.
   >>
   >> It works fine on x64 architecture but bash  fails on X86 like this
   >> bash
   >>     2 [main] bash 3520 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Exception:
   >> STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
   >>   315 [main] bash 3520 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
   >> bash.exe.stackdump
   >> 430671 [main] bash 3520 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Exception:
   >> STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
   >> 448747 [main] bash 3520 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Error while dumping
   >> state (
   >> probably corrupted stack)
   >>
   >> I have not found an answer in the cygwin mailing list.
   >
   >Works fine for me.  Except in one case:
   >http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-10/msg00459.html
   >
   >I opened a support case at Microsoft but it has been refused.
   >
   >Since the problem occurs in a Microsoft DLL, we have no way to fix it
   >in Cygwin.  Cygwin 1.7 has a crude workaround for this situation,
   >though.  So your choices are
   >
   >- Deinstall Terminal Services entirely
   >- Switch off DEP
   >- Use Cygwin 1.7 (still in TEST for another few weeks)
   >
   >If it's not TS, it's probably a case of
   >http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA
   >
   >Corinna
   >
   >--
   >Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
   >Cygwin Project Co-Leader          cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
   >Red Hat

For me it works with pre-1.7 versions of cygwin as long as I have
switched off DEP and uninstallled Terminal Services.

I think the problem is independent of whether it is x86 or x64 because
for me the problem occurs on x64.

Thanks

Freddy

--
Freddy Jensen, Sr. Computer Scientist, Adobe Systems Incorporated
345 Park Avenue, San Jose, CA 95110-2704, USA, Ph: (408) 536-2869