gcc compile problem: error: stray \168 in program

Sylvain RICHARD sr75pro@free.fr
Tue Feb 24 21:13:00 GMT 2009

grip wrote:
> Note:  I have to  type double  quotes  twice always and  I
> get two double quotes. I use backspace to remove one every time. A single
> double quotes produces no output on the  screen

This behaviour is coherent with the hypothesis that you're in fact using
the diaeresis key, and it seems to be a "dead key" on your keyboard.
What happens when you press:
- {mysterious key}+{space}. Do you get a single ¨ ?
- {mysterious key}+a. Do you get ä ? That is (if encoding of this key
get börked) an a plus two dots on top of it.
- {mysterious key}+e. Do you get ë ? (Same thing for e)

You may use the illustration in the Diaeresis wikipedia article [1]
useful (right sidebar).

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaeresis

Good luck,

--