special name for vss shadow copy device?

Christian Franke Christian.Franke@t-online.de
Wed Feb 25 18:57:00 GMT 2009

Greg Freemyer wrote:
> My personal desire is make a full dd copy of a snapshot onto a external drive.
>
> ie. dd if=/dev/sd-shadowcopy4 of=<my_image_file>

With new Cygwin 1.7, the VSS volume image can be retrieved as follows:

dd if='//?/GLOBALROOT/Device/HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy4' of=...

But this does not work with Cygwin 1.5.

To access individual files, assign a drive letter X: to the VSS volume:

http://blogs.msdn.com/adioltean/archive/2006/09/18/761515.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/adioltean/archive/2005/01/20/357836.aspx

Then you can access the files via /cygdrive/x. This works with cygwin
1.5 also. Only the WinXP explorer refuses to access the drive.

See also related discussion here:

Hope this helps,
Christian