[BUG 1.7] Read-only files are not.

David Rothenberger daveroth@acm.org
Thu Jan 1 01:17:00 GMT 2009

> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 03:31:43PM -0800, David Rothenberger wrote:
>> It seems that read-only files in Cygwin 1.7 are not truly
>> read-only. The sequence of steps below shows that "chmod 444 file1"
>> does not make the file read-only in Cygwin 1.7, while it does in
>> Cygwin 1.5. It may have something to do with the Read Only DOS
>> attribute. This is set by Cygwin 1.5 but not by Cygwin 1.7. If I
>> manually set it for Cygwin 1.7, the file does become read-only.
>>
>> (This issue was brought to my attention by a failing subversion test
>> after building for 1.7.)
>
> Hmm.  I can duplicate this but this is all Corinna's code so it might
> take a while to track down.
>
> It's a pretty serious bug though.  Would you be willing to see if this
> is a recent 1.7 problem by trying some older DLLs?

Apparently it is an old problem (if indeed it is a problem and not
intentional as Eric suggests). The 2008-08-01 does not have the
"problem" while 2008-08-17 does. 08-01 sets the read-only DOS attribute
while 08-17 does not.

"Jesus saves...but Gretzky gets the rebound!"
                 -- Daniel Hinojosa (hinojosa@hp-sdd)