Pointers on Making a Cygwin CD (including source)?

Grant Edwards grante@visi.com
Wed Jan 7 23:34:00 GMT 2009

I need to put a Cygwin snapshot on CD[*].

To that end I've been searching the mailing list archive. So
far the scripts wirtten by Vin Shelton look like they're
awfully close to what I want.

  http://www.Cygwin.com/ml/Cygwin/2007-03/msg00606.html

The only thing that (AFAICT) is missing is the inclusion of the
source packages for the binary packages on the CD.  I think I
can figure out enough zsh to do that.

Before I have a go at it, is there something else I ought to be
using instead?

 [*] Why, you ask, do I need a CD?  Because we're distributing
     a bunch of tools along with the Cygwin snapshot.  If we
     distribute just the tools along with instructions on
     installing a current Cygwin, then we'll have to worry
     about constantly updating the tools as updates to Cygwin
     cause them to stop working.  We've got a half-way decent
     chance of supporting a static snapshot of Cygwin+tools,
     but supporting the tools on top of a constantly changing
     Cygwin base would require more resources than we have
     available.

     Even distributing the source code to the tools along with
     a build script doesn't work, because future versions of
     Cygwin will undoubtedly stop being able to compile the
     tools.  For example, the previous version of the tool
     binaries won't run on current Cygwin install. The previous
     version of tools won't build on a current Cygwin install
     either. FWIW, the component of the tools that causes the
     most problems is gcc -- Cygwin stopped being able to build
     gcc/g++ 3.2.1 sometime in 2005.  The next version of the
     tools will use gcc/g++ 3.4.3.  That version can be built
     on current Cygwin (as of yesterday at some point in
     mid-morning GMT-6), but there's no guarantee that will be
     true tomorrow or that the binaries built today will run on
     tomorrow's "current" Cygwin.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! !  Now I understand
                                  at               advanced MICROBIOLOGY and