First Pass at mintty documentation; etc.

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Thu Jan 15 12:34:00 GMT 2009

Mark J. Reed wrote:
> True, but that's only one direction of history search, albeit the most
> commonly useful one. For those cases where you're somewhere back in
> your history and need to search forward, what do you do?
In my 25 years of working on such systems I can probably count on 2
fingers the number of times such a situation has arose and what I did
was Control-C then Control-R again.
> The default binding for history-search-forward is control-S;
> unfortunately, that's also usually the stop character and therefore
> caught by the terminal before bash ever sees it. So you have to either
> change the stop character or rebind the function, and if you rebind
> that one you might as well bind the other one to something symmetric.
Again, if the need were more than 2 times in 25 years I'd probably just
bind Control-E to it or something like that.
> Also, while it's fun to customize things in .inputrc (I have mine set
> to editing-mode vi, in which incidentally the / key starts a history
> search), I do recommend that everyone learn the emacs keys just
> because that's what bash defaults to. Sure, if I'm going to be typing
> more than a couple commands in a foreign bash setup, the first one I
> type is "set -o vi". But for short sessions in someone else's
> environment it's handy to be able to use the default bindings.
Hmmm... My usual inclination is to type "set -o emacs" when required! ;-)

Different strokes...
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
What do you do when you see an endangered animal that eats only