Uninstall/reinstall

Fri Jan 16 21:05:00 GMT 2009

royman17@verizon.net wrote:
> I encountered a problem with v1.5.25-15 on Windows XP.  My application is
> C/C++ with an embedded Perl interpreter.  The C/C++ code worked fine until
> I attempted to invoke the perl script.  I got an invalid DLL error.
> I'm not really asking about this -- it's the steps I took to address the
> DLL problem where I must have overlooked something.
>
> Thinking their might have been an install error or a conflict between
> multiple perl interpreters, I decided to uninstall/reinstall cygwin.
> ActivePerl had been installed on the machine as well.  I checked out
> the web pages for uninstalling cygwin and cleaning out the registry and
> carried out the steps.
>
> When I re-installed cygwin, two things went wrong.  The first was that
> bash was not installed by setup.exe.  I was able to remidy this problem
> simple enough by finding the tar.gz file containing bash and restoring it
> to the right location.
>
> The second problem was that cygwin1.dll was not installed.  Nor could I
> find it in the distribution package.  (I assume it is built on the fly
> somehow.)
>
> Ultimately, the sys admin re-loaded windows on my machine.  (Not only does
> this solve a re-install problem, but it would clean out the registry and
> possibly remove any corrupt dlls, so overall it made sense.)  I am about to
> re-install a version of cygwin on my computer, but I am concerned about
> encountering the original dll problem again -- meaning that I could have to
> uninstall/reinstall cygwin again -- maybe go to a different version of Perl
> or an earlier version of cygwin.
>
> What I want to know is, what did I do wrong in the uninstall?  Or in the
> reinstall?

Impossible to tell given the generalities you mentioned here.  Personally,
I wouldn't have chosen to uninstall and reinstall Cygwin to try to fix
your original problem.  I would have looked for what the problem was and
tried to fix that.  It does sound like you had some clash in your tools
(ActiveState's perl and Cygwin's perhaps) but I can't be sure.  One thing
I can say that you shouldn't do is install packages manually if you don't
know exactly what you're doing.  'setup.exe' is designed to handle all
the little details you wouldn't normally think of so using it is the
safest route.  My WAG is that you had some Cygwin service or bash process
(or both) running when you uninstalled, which would leave those in place
and inhibit the installation of the reinstalled versions.  Also note that
the Cygwin DLL comes from the cygwin package.  It is not built on the fly.

HTH,

Holliston, MA 01746