Manage Cygwin packages in command-line (without using graphical Setup.exe)

Sat Jan 17 03:06:00 GMT 2009

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.automated>
<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.cli>

> I found Setup.exe options: http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-03/msg00526.html
> But I don't understand how manage list of packages.

There was talk about this in the past.  I forget where it ended up.  But
you don't really need a list of packages if you have a local package
directory with all the packages you want to install.  If some are already
installed at the current version, those will be skipped.  Of course, doing
this through 'ssh' means you need the OpenSSH server to have access to
the desktop, assuming you're PCs are < Vista.  See the '-i' switch on
cygrunsrv.

> Optional Question: Is there an official wiki for Cygwin project ?

No.  The Cygwin site is the place to go for official, supported information.

Holliston, MA 01746