???????? owner and group

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Thu Jan 22 06:48:00 GMT 2009


I'm breaking in a new machine, and just noticed that when I "ls -l" a 
Samba share I have mounted, I get ???????? in place of the user and 
group instead of "myname None" as I normally expect, for all files.  If 
I say "ls -ln", the values are (u_long(-1)).

If I list something on the local filesystem that I own, it's fine.  Some 
system files show similar question mark symptoms, though, like regedit.exe:

-rwxrwx---+ 2 4294967295 4294967295 134656 Jan 20  2008 regedit.exe

Following advice about ???????? in the user guide, I checked that 
/etc/passwd exists, and it does.

I added 'acl' to my cygdrive mount line in /etc/fstab for 1.7, but that 
didn't change anything.

I'm seeing this on both Cygwin 1.5 and 1.7.  I don't yet have 1.7.38, as 
that hasn't appeared on my mirror of choice yet.  I don't see anything 
in the .38 changelog that addresses this.  Besides, 1.5 shows it, too.

I haven't noticed any permission failures, so maybe this is just a 
display issue, not some credential issue.

I've attached cygcheck -sv from the 1.7 side.  I can't give you cygcheck 
-r, again due to not yet having 1.7.38.
-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
Name: cygcheck.out
URL: <http://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/attachments/20090122/a2ad2dd1/attachment.ksh>
-------------- next part --------------
--
Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/


More information about the Cygwin mailing list