environment problems mixing mintty and xterm

Lester Ingber ingber@ingber.com
Thu Jan 22 16:57:00 GMT 2009

I find mintty very useful.  I can bring it up as a standalone window or I
can run run additional windows from xterm running under X.  If I do the
latter then mintty inherits the environment from the xterm window I'm
running, e.g., including additional path entries set in ~/.tcshrc, etc.

However, if I run mintty from my xterm window I have some problems.

For example, say I have open xterm (from startxwin.csh) with
xterm +tb -j -sb -geometry 80x84-6+0 &
this sets LINES set to 84.

If I have set up .minttyrc with
Rows=100
then after I go to my mintty window and back to my xterm, my xterm window
is messed up, e.g., top rows under `less` are off the screen.

There is no such problem, when running xterm, if I open an additional
mintty window as a Windows shortcut since it seems to open independently
-- without taking on the environment variables in my xterm window.

I guess it probably would increase the minimal nature of mintty to restore
such environment variables when leaving a mintty window?

Thanks.

Lester