1.5 / 1.7 setup.exe entanglement?

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Thu Jan 22 17:07:00 GMT 2009

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Yes, the reason is that setup looks into c:\cygwin by default and if it
> finds setup files there, it will use them

Thought so.

A wishlist item, then: add something to 1.5's setup.exe to detect that
c:\cygwin is from a later version, and refuse to use information found
there.  It should behave no differently in this case than installing
Cygwin 1.5 on a fresh machine.

On detecting this, it could also modify the default install location to
c:\cygwin-1.5 or similar, on the theory that you probably don't want to
overwrite the newer installation.

Again, the reason to do this is that after 1.7 gets released, we'll
probably still see a fair number of people having to install 1.5
alongside it, and you can't count on them to install 1.5 first, or go
through the procedure you outlined to keep the installs disentangled.