Status of Compatibility with Windows Server 2008 (2k8)

Fri Jan 23 04:46:00 GMT 2009

Oren Elrad wrote:
> Perhaps it's bad form to reply to my own message, but I've got the 2k8
> installation (x86) up and running and I'm ready to take the plunge and
> report back on what works and what doesn't work.
>
> Should I use the 1.5 release on the main page, or use the 1.7 release
> (setup-1.7.exe)?
> Alternatively, should I not even bother because it is known that
> Win2k8 and Cygwin just don't play well together?
>
> ~Oren
>
> PS. If the lack of reply to my previous question was due to some
> failure on my part, I'm quite sorry. I did check the FAQ and the
> archives of this list for any information in Cygwin's relationship
> with Win2k8. Google was also rather unhelpful in finding up-to-date
> information.

There have been some reports here on Cygwin and W2K8, though generally
none that I recall suggest any major issue with W2K8.  Since I don't
use W2K8, I can't say whether 1.5 or 1.7 would work better there.  It
depends on your needs.  1.7 is definitely where things are headed and
should give you a better experience overall, especially for things
like sshd that wants to change users (see
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.readme and/or
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2006-11/msg00000.html>).  If
you're up to using beta software, I'd recommend trying that.

Holliston, MA 01746