problem starting cygwin for a new user

ludo ludovic.leman@gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 16:59:00 GMT 2009

Hi,

I use cygwin on XP with success when my login name doesn't contain accent

I open a windows session with my windows login "ludo" and I start
cygwin.bat => all is right

Now, I open another windows session with another login "gérard"
When I launch cigwin.bat, bash displays error messages like :

mkdir: cannot create directory `/c/Documents and Settings/g'rard':
Permission denied
Copying skeleton files.
These files are for the user to personalise
their cygwin experience.

These will never be overwritten.

/usr/bin/install: cannot create directory /c/Documents and
Settings/g'rard: Permission denied
/usr/bin/install: cannot create directory /c/Documents and
Settings/g'rard: Permission denied
/usr/bin/install: cannot create directory /c/Documents and
Settings/g'rard: Permission denied
bash: cd: /c/Documents and Settings/g'rard: No such file or directory
Your group is currently "mkpasswd".  This indicates that
the /etc/passwd (and possibly /etc/group) files should be rebuilt.
See the man pages for mkpasswd and mkgroup then, for example, run
mkpasswd -l [-d] > /etc/passwd
mkgroup  -l [-d] > /etc/group
Note that the -d switch is necessary for domain users.

It seems that cygwin doesn't like french accent ....
How can I handle this situation ?

thanks