syntax highlighting on Joe

Julio Emanuel costaju@gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 05:29:00 GMT 2009

Hi Javier,

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 18:58, Javier Sedano wrote:
> Hi friends,
>
>        I've been using cygwin for many years, but had never subscribed to
> this list. Now, I have a strange behaviour, and hope you can help me.
>
>        I'm a fan of the Joe editor. I use it on xterm. Up to now, it had
> always made syntax-higglighting out of the box. However, when I installed it
> yesterday (from the latest version, using the mirror cygwin.cict.fr) on a
> new computer, it did not.

Welcome aboard. I've had this problem also. I've reported, but never
had any answer.
Yet, I've managed to report the problem AND the solution in the same email :)

You can check it right here:

>        It seems that the syntax file are not the problem, because (a) the

Well, actually, they ARE the problem (or their location, to be exact).

> jsf files are there (see the log below); and (b) the autoindent for example
> is working.
>        Any idea?

<snip>

I also would like to grab this opportunity to (once again) ring the
service bell to whoever maintain this package 'joe'.
It's my favorite (actually the only) editor in the Unix/Cygwin
environments, and that's unfortunate to see this package negleted,
because this seems to be a simple packaging problem. Also, currently
the upstream version is already 3.7 (TWO versions beyond the Cygwin
current!).

Could all this whining give us "joe'ers" a brand new version of this
package? Pretty Please? :)

All the best,