RFD: cygwin + *native* MinGW compiler

Wed Jan 28 04:38:00 GMT 2009

Pursuant to a discussion on the libtool list, I'm trying to get a feel
for how many cygwin users rely on the cygwin environment to drive the
*native* MinGW gcc compiler.  That is, incantations like this:

1a)
cygwin$ some-src-pkg/configure \
  --build=i686-pc-cygwin --host=mingw32 \
  CC=/c/MinGW/bin/gcc.exe \
  CXX=/c/MinGW/bin/g++.exe \
  NM=/c/MinGW/bin/nm.exe \
  DLLTOOL=/c/MinGW/bin/dlltool.exe \
  OBJDUMP=/c/MinGW/bin/objdump.exe \
  LD=/c/MinGW/bin/ld.exe

or possibly

1b)
cygwin$ export PATH=/c/MinGW/bin:$PATH
cygwin$ some-src-pkg/configure \
  --build=i686-pc-cygwin --host=mingw32

Note that this is *DIFFERENT* than installing a true cygwin-hosted
mingw-target cross-compiler, and just doing

2)
cygwin$ some-src-pkg/configure \
  --build=i686-pc-cygwin --host=i686-pc-mingw32

It is ALSO different than the (deprecated, unsupported,
go-away-don't-bother-us) incantation:

3)
cygwin$ some-src-pkg/configure \
  --build=i686-pc-cygwin --host=i686-pc-mingw32 \
  CFLAGS='-mno-cygwin'

I hope this is considered on-topic here, because I'm interested in the
uses of the cygwin environment itself.  I don't want reports of why it
doesn't work, or how hard it is to get one of the incantations above to
work.  I just want to get an idea of how many people are currently,
actually, successfully, doing something like 1a) or 1b) above.

--
Chuck