New Cygwin install and "configure: command not found" installing other packages

Wed Jan 28 18:14:00 GMT 2009

Bill Klein wrote:

> A) my hope is to use as little "shell" as possible.  I am installing Cygwin
> in order to be able to use a specific "product" that does not (normally)
> require shell programming.
>
> B) I am using the commands as they appear in the INSTALL file for the
> packages that I am using. (I simply made a typo in my original note)
>
> C) After trying the original command, I ran this from the directory where
> the "configure" file was (which I verified with "dir").
>
> when I typed
>    configure
> it got the "configure: command not found" message
>
> when I typed
>    sh configure
>
> it worked.

That's because when you type 'configure', it searches for a file with
that name in your $PATH, i.e. in /bin, /usr/bin, but not in the local
directory (.). `sh` is in /bin/sh, and it searches in the current
directory, so `sh configure` works. However, it's better to run:

./configure

as then you explicitly say "I want to run configure in this directory".

> The file "configure" is NOT something that I created but was supplied with
> the packages.  Two packages that have had this same problem are "from
> reliable" sites. For example:
>   http://gmplib.org/
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/libtool.html

We know. Configure is a standard program that prepares compilation.

Sjors