Network drive issue -- 'no such host or network path'

Stephen Wilkinson 307cdqf02@sneakemail.com
Wed Jul 1 15:36:00 GMT 2009

Corinna, thanks for your reply.

> These are not very helpful to understand what's going on,
unfortunately.

> From your Cygwin 1.7 installation, please run
>
>   $ /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo /cygdrive/u
Device Type        : 6
Characteristics    : 10
Volume Name        : <0>
Serial Number      : 75
Max Filenamelength : 255
Filesystemname     : <NTFS>
Flags              : 4006e
  FILE_CASE_SENSITIVE_SEARCH  : FALSE
  FILE_CASE_PRESERVED_NAMES   : TRUE
  FILE_UNICODE_ON_DISK        : TRUE
  FILE_PERSISTENT_ACLS        : TRUE
  FILE_FILE_COMPRESSION       : FALSE
  FILE_VOLUME_QUOTAS          : TRUE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_SPARSE_FILES  : TRUE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_REPARSE_POINTS: FALSE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_REMOTE_STORAGE: FALSE
  FILE_VOLUME_IS_COMPRESSED   : FALSE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_OBJECT_IDS    : FALSE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_ENCRYPTION    : FALSE
  FILE_NAMED_STREAMS          : TRUE
  FILE_READ_ONLY_VOLUME       : FALSE
  FILE_SEQUENTIAL_WRITE_ONCE  : FALSE
  FILE_SUPPORTS_TRANSACTIONS  : FALSE

>   and send the output to this list.  Additionally, please run
>
>     $ strace -o lsu.trace ls -l /cygdrive/u
>
> 	and attach the lsu.trace file to your mail.  Maybe that gives us
a clue.
> 	Corinna
The lsu.trace file is attached...

I have no control over or information about the shared folder mapped to
the U: drive in Windows. So instead, I tried using a shared folder which
a colleague controls to the Z: drive and do a test on that. I had no
problem listing the contents of Z: (both in DOS with dir and in Cygwin
with ls).

Returning to the U drive, I decided to try mounting the shared folder
manually to /mnt/u. In messing around, I actually mounted the parent
directory with:
mount \\\\UK.AGEE.COM\\Homedirs\\ACHE /mnt/u
I have no problem doing ls /mnt/u -- which returns:
NGGMV1R lost+found
The NGGMV1R is my folder on the shared drive, and lost+found suggests
it's on a *nix machine which must run samba.

I don't know if this information is relevant, but in the properties of
the U: drive (in Windows Explorer) there's a tab called "Previous
versions" which shows backups of the shared folder over the past week. I
don't know if this is relevant, but thought I'd mention it in case it
is.

Steve