Full 1.7 Install -> "Insufficient disk space to repair security descriptor at index $SII for file 9"

Stephen M. Kenton skenton@ou.edu
Wed Jul 8 17:14:00 GMT 2009

Sorry for the late reply, I was off getting radiation/cancer stuff done.

Thanks for the MS pointer. It definitely sounds like the same problem.
In my case, it caused a fully patched Windows XP Pro SP3  to be
unbootable afterwards too. The partition was never formatted in Linux
but it did have an odd history.  It's an IBM ThinkCentre S50 with a 40GB
partition at the front of the disk followed by a hidden 1GB compressed
"re-preinstall" partition which gets expanded to recreate the Windows
partition if you press the magic F11 key sequence during POST.  Rather
than shrinking the NTFS partition to make room for the Linux install I
cloned the 40GB disk onto the front of a 100GB drive and then swapped
them. I used the F11 business to reinstall windows on the first 40GB
before I installed Ubuntu on the last 60GB of the disk. I thought NTFS
was self contained in it's partition, but maybe there is some disk
size/geometry stashed somewhere that got confused by the disk swap. Or
maybe IBM just distributed an odd filesystem. Although, chkdisk was
happy before the Cygwin install.  I'll be going back into the lab today
and I'll try a full 1.7 install on an HP system where we did shrink the
NTFS partition to install Linux. It's been pulled out of service and
replaced with something newer so if I trash the file system it's not a
big deal.  I guess in the worst case the Cygwin installer could be made
to run in multiple passes automagically. I'd hate to see 1.7 go live
with something like this lurking if it  hits "normal"  users rather than
people like me :-)

Steve