Cygwin Setup crashes Windows 2000 during preremove script libusb-win32 0.1.12.1-2

Fri Jul 10 00:38:00 GMT 2009

Arend-Jan Westhoff wrote:
> During Cygwin Setup noticed system crash, while setup screen displayed
> something like:
> 	Running preremove script libusb-win32
> Attempting to isolate the problem I told setup to keep the current version
> of libusb-win32 and setup installed everything else apparently fine.
> After this I tried running setup again with only this attempted update:
> libusb-win32    0.1.12.1-2   ->    0.1.12.2-1
> this again leads to a sudden system reset.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Am I correct in understanding this is not the intended behaviour?

  Nah, it's not some kind of reset-to-complete-install thing, if that's what
you're wondering.  There must be a bug in the libusb driver when it's told to
unload.

> 2. What is the best way to work around (or solve) this problem?

  Start->Run->"devmgmt.msc".  Select "View" menu -> "Show hidden devices."
Expand the "Non-Plug and Play Drivers".  Find libusb.  Dunno exactly what it's
called, but it should be fairly obvious; to check, when you find it,
double-click it to bring up the properties.  Switch to the "Driver" tab and
click "Driver Details"; if the driver is called "libusb0.sys", that's the
right one.  Switch back to the "General" tab, click the "Device usage"
drop-down, select "Do not use this device (disable)".  Click OK, exit
everything, reboot.

  You should now be able to run setup having booted without libusb running, so
it won't have to unload to be replaced and won't crash doing so.

> 3. Who drove Igor Peshansky away? (So we may lynch him and bring Igor back.)

  The hippos sent a ransom note... but we can't read it, as it's covered with
a brown substance that sounds like a bell.

    cheers,
      DaveK