perl-Tk is broken

Wolfgang Goetz Wolfgang.ztoeG@web.de
Thu Jul 16 22:58:00 GMT 2009

Thrall, Bryan wrote:
> Wolfgang Goetz wrote on Thursday, July 09, 2009 6:03 AM:
>> perl-Tk is broken in 1.5 and 1.7
>> $ widget
...NOK
>> but is working under debugger control:
>> $ ddd /usr/bin/widget (->Run ->Cont)
...OK

> I've had similar problems; see
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-03/msg00800.html but no resolution.
> Unfortunately, I don't have a Linux perl 5.10 installation available to
> confirm that this is specific to Cygwin.

SuSE 11.1 is using this and Perl-Tk's widget is ok. (one of my tests)

is it really Perl-Tk or perl itself?
when looking at other perl related threads i tried to rebuild perl
at least with -O2 instead of -O3 (see perl -V)
but did not succeed at all.

in 1.7: cd /usr/src/perl-5*:
./build all

try 1) our restrictive company firewall is blocking rsync.
	(huh -- using variable source from outside for production?)

try 2) compiling @home i get the following error:

/usr/bin/ln.exe -s cygwin/cygwin.c
`sh  cflags "optimize='-O3'" cygwin.o`  cygwin.c
          CCCMD =  gcc -DPERL_CORE -c -DPERL_USE_SAFE_PUTENV
-U__STRICT_ANSI__
fno-strict-aliasing -pipe  -O3 -Wall -W -Wextra
-Wdeclaration-after-statement -
endif-labels
cygwin.c: In function `utf8_to_wide':
cygwin.c:173: error: redefinition of 'wlen'
cygwin.c:170: error: previous definition of 'wlen' was here
cygwin.c:170: warning: unused variable `wlen'
cygwin.c: In function `XS_Cygwin_win_to_posix_path':
cygwin.c:281: warning: unused variable `oldlocale'
make: *** [cygwin.o] Error 1

i'm lost.
maybe someone has a -02 build for perl and may check for widget please?

kind regards
Wolfgnag

--
Wolfgang Goetz