Strange behaviour of CYGWIN in VISTA x64 Ultimate, advice needed

Ulf Lindgren jazz.bingo@kassoss.se
Sun Jul 19 06:58:00 GMT 2009

Hi all,

before I reinstall my computer, I'd like to get your advice to what may
cause
a strange behavior in cygwin bash. I have not found any hints in the
archives
so as a last resort perhaps someone reading this knows what is going on.
I run a computer with Vista Ultimate x64 and I have successfully been using
cygwin until three month ago. A that point all command issued in my bash
shell
created errors like this (here ls causes bash to crash)

-----
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: bash.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 49316968
Fault Module Name: cygwin1.dll
Fault Module Version: 1005.25.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 48515e73
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00016265
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1053
Additional Information 1: e51a
Additional Information 2: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433
Additional Information 3: e51a
Additional Information 4: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 1034940900
-----

so I downloaded the beta version 1.7 and tried. Bash does not crash but
stdio
is void, for example issuing ls produce a flickering vista prompt (circle at
the
mouse pointer position)  but no output in bash? I use Bitdefender as
firewall but
the problem do not go away by disabling it. However when I run cygcheck it
produces output in bash? For example

bash-3.2$ cygcheck  ls
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\ls.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\ls.exe
C:\cygwin\bin\ls.exe
  C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
    C:\Windows\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL
      C:\Windows\system32\ntdll.dll
      C:\Windows\system32\KERNEL32.dll
      C:\Windows\system32\RPCRT4.dll
        C:\Windows\system32\Secur32.dll
  C:\cygwin\bin\cygintl-8.dll
    C:\cygwin\bin\cygiconv-2.dll

and

bash-3.2$ cygcheck cygcheck
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\cygcheck.exe
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\cygcheck.exe
C:\cygwin\bin\cygcheck.exe
  C:\Windows\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL
    C:\Windows\system32\ntdll.dll
    C:\Windows\system32\KERNEL32.dll
    C:\Windows\system32\RPCRT4.dll
      C:\Windows\system32\Secur32.dll
  C:\Windows\system32\USER32.dll
    C:\Windows\system32\GDI32.dll
  C:\Windows\system32\msvcrt.dll

In case any of you recognize this please let me know, I feel crippled
without
my cygwin!

/Ulf