[1.7] mount -m output can contain flag 'noexec', which isn't understood in /etc/fstab

Andy Koppe andy.koppe@gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 23:38:00 GMT 2009

2009/7/22 Jon TURNEY:
> Jon@byron ~
> $ mount -m
> //necker/jon /home/jon smbfs binary,noexec,noacl,user 0 0
> none /cygdrive cygdrive binary,posix=0,user 0 0
>
> I want this to be permanent, so I edit /etc/fstab to add a copy of the line:
> //necker/jon /home/jon smbfs binary,noexec,noacl,user 0 0
> close the window, and open another shell, which then says
>
>      3 [main] bash 3460 read_flags: invalid fstab option - 'noexec'
>
> (Curiously only a cmd.exe shell seems capable of showing this, MinTTY
> doesn't which caused me some confusion initially)

The message is printed while intialising the Cygwin DLL during
mintty's startup. Since mintty is a GUI subsystem program, stdout
points to digital Nirvana at that point.

I don't think there's anything I can do about it short of turning
mintty into a CUI program that hides its console unless there's output
on it already, like rxvt does. That, however, has the unfortunate side
effect of the console popping up briefly, so I'm really not keen on
that.

Perhaps the DLL could allocate a console if one isn't available before
printing diagnostic messages? Or use MessageBox()?

Andy