[1.7] Updated: libsigsegv-2.6-1

Fri Jul 24 06:53:00 GMT 2009

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 04:35:12PM +0000, Eric Blake wrote:

>>> I really don't like the games this package plays.  I'm halfway tempted
>>> to just make it nonfunctional in Cygwin.
>> It works just fine, especially now that it only uses SEH for stack
>> overflow detection instead of assuming that all SEH faults imply
>> SIGSEGV.
>
> The point is that this is using an undocumented "interface" into Cygwin.
> If we decide to change anything in SEH handler, which we do from time to
> time, this code is likely to break.  We are not likely to keep
> libsigsegv in mind if we make future changes to the exception handler.

  Well, this line of argument also leads to the suggestion that we should
define a nice stable interface for it to use.  I haven't researched it in
depth but if, as it appears, this is a real library used by real Linux apps to
do a real job, and it is our goal to make those apps "just recompile and work"
on Cygwin as they do on Linux, then we should give serious consideration to
supporting libsigsegv and making what it wants to do possible for it.

    cheers,
      DaveK