Lightweight, Windows-friendly Installation of Cygwin

Jim Monty jim.monty@yahoo.com
Mon Jul 27 08:37:00 GMT 2009

I use the MKS Toolkit at work. I've never really used Cygwin because every
time I look at it, I run away screaming because of the gazillion choices it
seems I'm forced to make, the volumes of documentation I'm forced to read, and
the fact that Cygwin seems to impose whole new computing paradigms on me
like /cygwin/c (huh?!). I was a Unix guy when it was UNIX(r), but now I can't
be bothered to think in two operating system. The MKS Toolkit doesn't force me
to do this. I stick in the installation CD, click a few buttoms, make hardly
any decisions, and moments later I'm able to do stuff like this at a Windows
Command Prompt:

C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Monty>find "C:\Program Files\Microsoft" -type f
| wc -l

When I want to use a Bash shell, I type 'bash' ('bash -o vi', actually) and
use a Bash shell. When I'm done, I type 'exit'.

I want to be able to do this for free on a *personal* personal computer I just
bought (my first one in twenty years). So I want to install Cygwin, but I
don't want to have to learn anything Cygwin-ish. I think I know enough about
both Windows and Unix already that I shouldn't be forced to learn anything
new. It seems unfair to me to be both a dinosaur and a newbie all at once.

Is there a lightweight Cygwin that just lets me run Unix-ish commands under
Windows? I'm not porting software or developing cross-platform applications. I
just want to 'strings' a file once in a while.

Jim Monty