1.5.25-15: Why my $INITRC "set convert-meta off" seems to fail?

Rodion Gorkovenko rodiongork@yahoo.com
Mon Jul 27 23:14:00 GMT 2009

To Andy Koppe and Corinna Vinschen - big thanks!

Problem is solved with your advices!

I see now, the deal is far more complicated. However I clicked "choose default - Russian" in Regional Settings for Windows (there was "Russian" in many list-boxes, but it seems default was not Russian still, though I use this windows a lot of time already %-)

Now Cygwin shows russian letters properly. However there are a lot of things to understand for me - for example, my windows uses 866 (dos russian codepage) for console, though cygwin shows in normal way files which are in 1251 (windows russian codepage), and in abnormal those which are in the same 866 (though they are all right with windows "type file.txt") - a lot of fun, a lot of interesting questions.

I shall proceed on my own now. Thank you for help. Thank you for "old user's guide" link also. I somehow feel the present user guide is bit short... ;-)

thankfully,
Rodion