install from install files?

Robert Mark Bram robertmarkbram.cygwin@gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 08:51:00 GMT 2009

Thanks Dave,

>> If I install Cygwin from the internet and copy the cygwin files to my
>> USB, can I later install Cygwin on another machine from those files?
>
>  As long as by "Copy the cygwin files", you mean the local package directory,
> rather than the cygwin install tree, then yes.  Just run setup.exe on the
> other machine in install-from-local mode and point it at the dir on the usb drive.

Yes, I did mean the package directory, e.g.:
C:\Documents and Settings\rbram\My
Documents\Downloads\ftp%3a%2f%2fmirror.aarnet.edu.au%2fpub%2fsourceware%2fcygwin%2f

One more question: I notice that each time I update Cygwin, I get
another "ftp...mirror.. " folder. Do I need to point the "local
installation" at one of these folders or to the parent and have it
pick up the updates?

Rob
:)

General Blog: http://robertmarkbram.blogspot.com/