How cygwin realize posix pipe?

Tatsuro MATSUOKA tmacchant2@yahoo.co.jp
Thu Jul 30 15:37:00 GMT 2009

Hello

I have involved in the octave project.
Octave uses gnuplot as a graphic backend and data are sent and recieved via pipe.

A report of slowness issue of the plot on octave on windows reported.

Please see
http://www.nabble.com/Plotting-with-3.2.0-on-Windows-is-SLOOOOOOWWWW-td24703690.html

In the reply I have shown the results on octave on cygwin.

http://www.nabble.com/Re:-Plotting-with-3.2.0-on-Windows-is-SLOOOOOOWWWW-p24706929.html

With Octave on cygwin such slowness issue did not happen.

I suppose that this is due to the posix pipe in the cygwin.

I have a curiosity how cygwin to realize the posix pipe?

The knowledge may help to overcome this issue.

Is the win32 pipe fuction like CreatePipe Function used in the cygwin ?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365152(VS.85).aspx

In the octave for native windows (not cygwin) uses win32 pipe function and implement octave_popen2 ()
which is like popen2 in the posix.  (In the Unix code inculding cygwin used pipe funtion to implement)

Thank you in advance for your kind consideration.

Regards

Tatsuro