Using emacs in a terminal window

Mark Harig idirectscm@aim.com
Sat Jun 6 19:44:00 GMT 2009

 > I've answered several questions in recent weeks about
 > how to use emacs in a terminal window.  To try to clarify
 > this, I plan to put some suggestions in
 > /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/emacs.README the next time I
 > update the emacs packages. The current draft is appended
 > below. Please let me know if you see any inaccuracies or if
 > anything could be stated more clearly.

Here is an additional item related to terminal-mode Emacs that
might be worth mentioning:

    A better display of colors, underlining, etc. can be obtained
    in the terminal mode Emacs by making use of the terminfo file
    that is included in the Emacs distribution:

        /usr/share/emacs/23.0.92/etc/e/eterm-color

    This file (eterm-color) can be accessed by copying it to the
     directory /usr/share/terminfo/e/ (which the user may need to
     create).  The terminal capabilities are then available if
     terminal-mode Emacs is invoked with some variation of:

           env TERM=Eterm-color emacs ...

     If the user has the Cygwin version of the 'terminfo' package
     installed, then even more terminal capabilities are available.
     This package provides the files 'Eterm', 'Eterm-88color', and
     'Eterm-256color' in the directory /usr/share/terminfo/45/.  To
     make use of the 'Eterm-256color' terminal capabilities, for
     example, issue some variation of the following commands:

     $ cd /usr/share/terminfo/45/
     $ ln -fs Eterm-256color Eterm-color
     $ cd
     $ env TERM=Eterm-color emacs ...

     An alias can also be defined to help:

      $ alias edit="env TERM=Eterm-color /usr/bin/emacs-nox --no-splash"