Remote desktop connection

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Tue Jun 9 07:19:00 GMT 2009

Robert Rackl wrote:
> It seems that with regular RDP, I can only do it using one local
> screen; if there is a way to use multiple screens please let me know how.
You are using incorrect terminology here, namely the concept of
"screen". RDP allows you to connect to a remote system and present you
with a desktop. In Windows XP you can connect one RDP session. Doing so
moves the "desktop" from the local machine to the machine that is
requesting the RDP session. With Windows XP you are allowed to do this
once. With Windows Server you are allowed to do this twice. You can buy
more RDP licenses though I have yet to see a shop that has done that.
Most buy Citrix which is much more expensive and does pretty much the
same thing.
> A couple of years ago, a friend showed me how to use Cygwin to
> establish a remote desktop connection using two local screens which
> worked well until a disk crash. That friend is now far away and very
> busy - I'd rather not bother him.
There is software called VNC which has a server component and a client
component. It allows you do to what RDP does. It's open source so you
could use that. The downside is that VNC is a much less efficient
protocol and thus you'll see things like sluggishness when you move the
mouse or windows, etc. The plus side is that you can have many connections.

There's also rdesktop that you can install on Linux systems. I don't
know if anybody has ported that to Cygwin. Plus side, it's using RDP
protocol, thus it's quick. Minus side - same restrictions WRT Windows XP
and one RDP session allowed.

Then there's the whole concept of remote access the Unix way which
includes such methods as ssh, X, etc.

Perhaps you should try describing better what exactly you are trying to
accomplish...
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
I always take life with a grain of salt, plus a slice of lemon and a