1.7: Version info about Cygwin

Wed Jun 10 08:47:00 GMT 2009

On Jun  9 16:29, Lee D. Rothstein wrote:
> Can someone explain the difference in version info between?:
>
> * cygcheck -c cygwin
> * uname -a
>
> To wit:
>
> Cygwin Package Information
> Package              Version        Status
> cygwin               1.7.0-49       OK
>                     --------
>                         \
>                           \  Versus
>  \
>                        ----------------
> CYGWIN_NT-6.0-WOW64 GW1 1.7.0(0.210/5/3) 2009-06-08 22:13 i686 Cygwin

The -49 is a *package* version of the 1.7.0 release.  It has nothing to
do with the actual release number of the "upstream" release.  It's not
unusual to have different package numbers of the same release of a
software package due to packaging bugs or changes in helper scripts or
docs.  We're using 1.7.0 now for all pre-releases.  The actual releases
will start with 1.7.1 and bump the release number every time a change in
Cygwin is made.  The package version will be bumped if the release is
the same, but the new package just fixes a packaging bug or something.

Uname has nothing to do with the package, just with the actual Cygwin
DLL.  The `uname -r' output contains a release number (1.7.0), an API
version number, bumped every time a new API is added or a major change
in the API occurs (0.210), a version which identifies the layout of the
global shared memory used to share global information between
applications (5), and a version number of the mount table layout in the
registry (3).  Incidentally, the 3 now means "not in the registry
anymore".

Corinna

Red Hat