Is there a script to remove old packages from local disk

Wed Jun 17 07:01:00 GMT 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 06:16:17PM -0400, Ralph Hempel wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>You can just rm -r all of the directories that setup creates when
>>installing packages.  There is no reason to keep any of them around.
>
>I think he's talking about the old versions of the .bz2 files that live
>in the local download folders.

So am I.

>I may have a similar usage pattern in that I have a folder on my USB
>key that has all the packages, and when I get to a client machine that
>has no Cygwin and they let me install it, I just install from my local
>copy - no Internet, no problem.
>
>But those folders do fill up with old cruft after a while.

But you wouldn't want to keep different versions of bz2 files around in
that case.

><duck>
>
>Wouldn't it be nice if setup knew enough to remove the bz2 files for
>packages that were no longer current?
>
></duck>

No need to duck.  I think setup really should just delete the files
when it is done with them if you choose "install from internet".

cgf