Slow/sluggish response [Solved, sort of]

Gene Smith gds@chartertn.net
Wed Jun 24 02:40:00 GMT 2009

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> Gene Smith wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Since I don't have a "HOME" env var in windows, cygwin is getting the
>> cygwin HOME from /etc/passwd. So I tried it both ways. With 1.5 I set
>> home to be the empty directory /home/smited (under c:/cygwin). It
>> didn't make it any faster. With beta-1.7 I set home to
>> /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/smited (where all the cruft is) and
>> it didn't make it any slower. So where cygwin points $HOME at terminal
>> startup does not seem to have an effect for me. Current version 1.5 is
>> slow while beta-1.7 is fast, for still unknown reasons.
>
> I guess you're stuck looking at strace output to see if that helps
> pinpoint the problem...

I ran the make under "strace -o outfile make" but I couldn't really tell
what I was looking at in the outfile.

Also, today I just helped out co-worker who has cygwin that he has been
updating over the years (I didn't know he was using it). But when he
tried to do similar builds as me it was also extremely slow for him too
(he also sees "system" process at 50% most of time). It is basically the
same standard corporate desktop that we are both using.

Since a fresh install of the beta fixed the speed problem, I "took
ownership" of c:/cygwin and renamed it and did another fresh install of
the official release using setup.exe back to a new and pristine
c:/cygwin. Now the speed is good again for me. But not quite as good as
the beta, 40 sec compared to 34. However much improved from 14 minutes!

Before this, I did a global reinstall of everything with setup but it
made no difference. As I add stuff in to get back to my previous setup,
I will check this benchmark to see if I can tell what package, if any,
might be slowing it down (e.g., the huge boost library).