Slow/sluggish response ("system" task at 50%)

Thu Jun 25 09:05:00 GMT 2009

Edward Lam wrote:
> On Wed, June 24, 2009 17:29, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> Sure, we all know that Cygwin provides Linux emulation and suffers some
>> overhead for it.  But timings from an individual machine can be
>> misleading.
>> Running this through multiple times for both Mingw and Cygwin 1.7 on my
>> similarly equipped machine, I see Cygwin is somewhere between 1.7 and 2.25
>> times slower.  Whether yours or my result is more typical, I can't say.
>> But as you noted, neither data set provides much justification for the
>> results reported.
>
> Larry,
>
> Are you on 32-bit Windows or 64-bit Windows? I've noted on this mailing
> list earlier that there are large speed differences between the two. I
> wonder which platform Gene is on. The tr test results are consistent on
> Windows 64-bit for me.

Good point.  My test was run against 32-bit Windows.  Gene's cygcheck
output says he's running 32-bit Windows as well.

> I don't quite understand what MINGW32 is doing that makes it ~2 times
> faster than cygwin.

It has to do with what it doesn't do.  But I think the more interesting
issue is what's making things _so_ slow in some of his builds.

Holliston, MA 01746