How to build gcc to support wchar_t and wstring on Cygwin

Thu Jun 25 20:55:00 GMT 2009

On Jun 25 15:15, Mark J. Reed wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Match Point
> > wstring is not supported on my Cygwin 1.5.25. When I  declare a
> > wstring variable my g++ 3.4.4 complains wstring is undeclared. After
> > reading some posted message I figured out wstring is not supported on
> > Cygwin 1.5 or even 1.7. To fix this I have to rebuild entire gcc.
>
> No, to fix that you have to convince the newlib developers to add
> wstring support to newlib.

wstring is a C++ class.  It has nothing to do with libc.  wstring is
supported by the G++ standard libs as soon as the underlying libc
(Cygwin/nelib) provides all necessary wide char functions to implement
that class.  That should be the case for Cygwin 1.7 and gcc 4.x.

Corinna

Red Hat