Vim.exe of gVim can't display in Cygwin (Vista)

tsunhin wong thjwong@gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 07:11:00 GMT 2009

Hi all,

I am trying to run vim inside my cygwin shell in Vista
I've done it successfully in XP with the following settings:

- gVim 7.2 installed with vim.exe
- set PATH in environmental variables to include C:\Program files\Vim\vim72
- set .vimrc to point to _vimrc
- ln -s vim.exe /usr/bin/vi

In my XP, I can trigger vim in my cygwin windows by typing "vi"

However, when I do the same thing in Vista 32bit:
when I type "vi"
- bash: vi: command not found
when I type "vim"
- the prompt stop at vim and nothing happen, and I have to Ctrl-C to escape
- the icon of the cygwin window did change to the Vim icon & "[No
Name] - VIM" appears on the top title bar of the window
- however it hangs there in "vim" in the cygwin prompt, and nothing else happens
when I type "gvim
- the gvim window pops up...

Please let me know what is wrong, and how can I fix it.
Thanks!

- J

n.b. It didn't work with cygwin 1.5, and I upgraded to cygwin 1.7 beta
and it still doesn't work.