Renaming issue, changing case only.

David Rothenberger daveroth@acm.org
Wed Mar 4 17:38:00 GMT 2009

> On Mar  4 08:51, David Rothenberger wrote:
>> On 3/4/2009 12:45 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> Cygwin 1.7 itself has no problems to rename a file just case-wise,
>>> neither under casesensitive mount points nor under caseinsensitive
>>> mount points.  This looks like a problem in svn.
>> Or it's a problem with the operator. :-) Seems I wasn't actually running
>> in Cygwin 1.7 when I thought I was. Plus, I was using a /cygdrive path
>> with case-sensitivity turned off.
>>
>> I will retry again today with a proper 1.7 environment. If this works
>> with 1.7, I'm not going to try to patch svn for 1.5. Otherwise, I'll
>> investigate further.
>
> Well, even for 1.7, it *should* work when not using case-sensitivity.
> Most people will probably continue to use case-insensitive settings.
> Not everyone want or is allowed to tweak this registry setting.

Fair enough.

Subversion has lots of problems with case-insensitive file systems.
These problems are not specific to Cygwin -- they occur with the
Windows-native tools and on OSX. It is WAY beyond my abilities to try to
fix these. It goes beyond just doing a trick for a rename.

There is a hope that a redesign of the "working copy" library, possibly
in the 1.7 release, will address these issues.

Anyone interested in seeing this fixed on Cygwin should contribute to
Subversion upstream development.

I don't want to be young again, I just don't want to get any older.