proposing a new package: dash (shell)

Akakima akakima33@gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 20:06:00 GMT 2009

"Eric Blake" <ebb9@byu.net> wrote:

> Yes, a port of dash would be welcome.

Great. I will do it.

>> I have done some minimal testing. dash can run its own configure
>> script. In
>> order to be sure that dash.exe was the only shell use by cygwin, i
>> copied
>> dash.exe over sh.exe and bash.exe.
>
> Are you sure dash was used?  Like I said, configure scripts
> generated by
> autoconf prefer a shell that supports LINENO, and that means you
> might have
> ended up with zsh or pdksh doing the work instead of dash.  To
> guarantee you
> used dash, you can use:

Pretty sure. I dont have pdksh installed. I have bash and ash. During
my first test, i watched the task manager. I saw many sh.exe process.
So i copied dash.exe over sh.exe. Second test, i saw many bash.exe
process. Third time,
i replaced all shell (ash.exe, bash.exe, sh.exe, zsh.exe with
dash.exe. So even if the task list show a bash.exe process, it is dash
code executing. My goal was to verifiy that the code is ok. Now this
does not guaranty that dash is called. In fact, even if i start the
build under dash, some other shell get ran.

I would like to publish dash as is for now. If i am able to do the
job, may be i can add LINENO support to dash (i have no idea what the
difficulties are), or suggest to the author/actual maintainer to do
it.

> CONFIG_SHELL=path/to/dash path/to/dash ./configure

Ok. Will try.

> I'm not ready to change the default /bin/sh; I think we'd still like
> keep /bin/sh as bash for the time being.  But that doesn't stop
> users from
> installing dash instead of bash as /bin/sh.

I am not proposing that dash become the default shell. I would like to
use it on cygwin, even if it's not really POSIX compliant and there
are some problems (see: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DashAsBinSh ).
It is somewhat faster and is also easier to hack for a beginner and
can still be useful.

>  And I would particularly welcome a
> pre-built dash, as I already test with it as part of maintaining
> upstream
> autoconf.

built on WinXP Pro, SP2, (32 bits)
Do you want a copy of the dash.exe i have built ?
stripped or not ?
with cygwin 1.5 or 1.7 ?

I have made no modification to the original files. Just ran
./configure
make
to get a running dash.