'cygstart' option? was Re: 1.7.0: Getting a Windows app to run synchronously to a script from which it is invoked

Lee D.Rothstein lee@veritech.com
Mon Mar 23 09:32:00 GMT 2009

I figured out a solution, but it still has limitations.

The solution:

It just requires doing a cd into the path (complete directory path) of the
argument, and cd'ing into that path. If the command operates on a
directory as Explorer does, then you submit '.' as the argument.
If the command requires a file name, you just submit the
'basename' as the argument.

I used to do this years ago (starting with the MKS toolkit, and then
the Thompson toolkit), but stopped once I became conversant
with 'cygpath'. Brain damage is my excuse for forgetting.

However, this will only work with Windows programs that themselves are
synchronous, OTB (out of the box). This won't work, for example,
 with OpenOffice (OO) after about version 1.5, or WinWord after version
10, or thereabouts. OO really bummed me out, when they made the change,
invalidating all my blogging scripts. That's when I started using the 'read'
nonsense. Actually, more recently, they both require 'cygstart' or they
flat out
blow up. However, you don't have to specifiy the command name
at all, just the file name argument. But you still end up with the
asynch start.

In brief, it would be very nice if there was a cygstart option that did
not exit
until the command which it starts exits. Is this possible?

Lee