More: [1.7] packaging problem? Both /usr/bin/ and /usr/lib/ are non-empty

Tue May 5 09:42:00 GMT 2009

On May  5 07:22, Fergus wrote:
>> Just noticed that after the recent unison upgrade there exists a file
>>     /usr/bin/unison
>> Also just noticed (but this must have occurred a while ago - 30/03/09
>> maybe, the date of a TeX upgrade?) that there now exists a directory
>>     /usr/lib/texmf/
>> with deep non-empty subdirectory structure.
>> Is it the case for [1.7] that both /usr/bin/ and /usr/lib/ should be
>> empty as for [1.5]?
>> Possibly the texmf/ packaging issue has been corrected in subsequent
>> upgrades and so /usr/lib/texmf/ can be deleted without compromising
>> functionality; but I think the appearance of /usr/bin/unison is very
>> new.
>> Fergus
>
> And again: following the recent upgrade to rxvt-unicode there are now 3
> "real" files in /usr/lib/ being
>
> C:\>attrib m:\usr\bin\*
> A  S         M:\usr\bin\urxvt
> A  S         M:\usr\bin\urxvtc
> A  S         M:\usr\bin\urxvtd
>
> (As you perceive, these are all links: in fact to files of the same name
> in /etc/alternatives/. There are identical links in m:\bin\.)

This is really weird.  I just installed and then reinstalled
rxvt-unicode to test this, but in my case the symlinks get created in
/bin as it's supposed to be.

Your cygcheck looks good except for this one:

> Output from M:\bin\id.exe (nontsec)
> UID: 400(fdaly)    GID: 401(mkpasswd)
> 545(Users)         545(Users)         401(mkpasswd)
>
> Output from M:\bin\id.exe (ntsec)
> UID: 400(fdaly)    GID: 401(mkpasswd)
> 545(Users)         545(Users)         401(mkpasswd)

Your /etc/passwd and maybe your /etc/group files are not ok (uid 400 and
gid 401 are not good).  You should use mkpasswd and mkgroup to rebuild
them.  However, it's very unlikely that this is the problem.

> M:      /         system  binmode
> M:\bin  /usr/bin  system  binmode
> M:\lib  /usr/lib  system  binmode
> .       /         user    textmode,cygdrive,posix=0

I also tested with cygdrive set to / but it worked fine as well.

Corinna

Red Hat