Using rand_r

Nicholas Sherlock n.sherlock@gmail.com
Thu May 14 05:49:00 GMT 2009

David Billinghurst wrote:
 > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
 >> Hey everyone,
 >>
 >> I'm trying to use the function rand_r with gcc-4 in Cygwin 1.7, all
my packages are up to date. It's supposed to be defined in stdlib.h, and
I can see it there. But if I compile a program which uses it, I get:

 >> warning: implicit declaration of function 'rand_r'.
 >>
 >> The reason seems to be the check for #ifndef __STRICT_ANSI__ in
stdlib.h. Even though I'm compiling with -std=c99, __STRICT_ANSI__ still
gets declared, so the definition of rand_r is unavailable. This seems to
be the same problem stated here:

 > Try -std=gnu99.  It doesn't define __STRICT_ANSI__
 >
 > This doesn't answer your question, unfortunately.

Thanks, that does solve my immediate problem. But I'm really hoping to
compile as vanilla C99 as I can manage, since I'll also be using my code
with non-GNU compilers.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock