Debugging a time zone problem

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Thu May 14 11:59:00 GMT 2009

On 5/14/2009 5:38 AM, Marc Girod wrote:

> Ken Brown-6 wrote:
>> I've built emacs 23 under both cygwin 1.5 and 1.7, and it runs fine for
>> me except for a glitch involving time zones:  Emacs gets the local time
>> zone wrong by 4 hours.
>>
> I am using your port on 1.7, and cannot reproduce.

BTW, my original report (that the time zone was off by 4 hours) was
misleading.  After comparing my results with those of Angelo Graziosi in
Italy, I realized that, for both Angelo and me, emacs thought our local
time zone was GMT minus one hour.  (This was in February, before
daylight savings time.)

> Looking at the sources, the most suspicious place given your description,
> seems to be msdos.c, around lines 4453-4494...

Thanks for looking into this.  I'm about to leave town for a few days,
but maybe I'll make another attempt when I return (unless you've already
solved it before then).

Ken