emacs -nw keypad, tpu-edt.el, and C-h

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Thu May 28 15:00:00 GMT 2009

On 5/28/2009 3:48 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> What I can suggest at this point is send a formal bug report about
> this with "M-x report-emacs-bug RET".

Tim,

You're probably in the best position to do this, since I've never used
tpu-edt.  Alternatively, tell me precisely what steps to perform to
reproduce the problem, and I'll send the report.  Be sure to avoid
interaction with an X server other than cygwin's.  In fact, it's
probably best to avoid an X server completely, since you said in your
first post that the problem doesn't occur for emacs under X.

A separate issue that has arisen in this thread is that when emacs runs
in a cygwin terminal [*], it sees C-h as DEL instead of as the help key.
  (The problem doesn't occur for emacs running under X.)  This could be
very disconcerting to new emacs users who see the following on the
splash screen:

   Get help           C-h  (Hold down CTRL and press h)
   Emacs manual       C-h r        Browse manuals     C-h i
   Emacs tutorial     C-h t

Can someone familiar with cygwin terminals help with this?  I'm
speculating again (bad habit), but it seems that the keycodes are being
processed before they reach emacs, so that C-h becomes indistinguishable
from the Backspace key.  This happens in terminals but not under X.

Ken

[*] I've tried xterm, rxvt, mintty, and the console gotten by running
Cygwin.bat.