emacs 23.1.1 macro behavior and name completion

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Fri Nov 13 16:08:00 GMT 2009

Ken Brown wrote:
> On 11/13/2009 9:57 AM, Rockefeller, Harry wrote:
>> Emacs 23.1.1 (Cygwin 1.7) stores spaces literally inside emacs macros
>> instead of using the space as a name completion command. In the
>> older emacs (Cygwin 1.5) this is not the case. The stored macro
>> behaved exactly like the keystrokes were originally typed
>> interactively. Is this a "feature" of the new emacs? Does this emacs
>> version do the same thing on a native Linux PC? i.e., does this have
>  > anything to do with Cygwin itself?
>
> This almost certainly has nothing to do with cygwin.  There have been
> many changes in emacs since version 21 (which you were using before),
> including changes in how completion is done and changes involving
> keyboard macros.  Use the help and info facilities within emacs, or
> browse the NEWS files in /usr/share/emacs/23.1/etc/.  Further questions
> on this should go to one of the emacs lists unless you find evidence
> that the issue is related to cygwin.
>
> Ken

However! Given the various issues people have seen around the
setting of LANG and the cygwin 1.7 changes in handling locale,
I would also recommend looking into that. Try setting LANG=C
and comparing with LANG=C.UTF-8 and LANG=en_US.UTF8 ...

Ken is probably right, but this is easy to check.

Regards -- Eliot Moss