Cannot run SSH

baykusderki baykusderki@gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 16:11:00 GMT 2009

On 11/22/2009 12:00 AM, Ken Jackson wrote:

> Is SYSTEM in /etc/passwd?  If not, I think that's a problem.  Even if
> it's there, maybe it's wrong.  I would try the mkpasswd command to
> recreate your passwd file (and might as well mkgroup to recreate
> the /etc/group file).  They both write to stdout so you have to
> redirect them:
>
> mkpasswd>  /etc/passwd
>
> --

Yep the SYSTEM is listed alright. I already created the passwd file
multiple times, before and after ssh installation. I do not know what
all those numbers in it but as far as I can see the users and their
default folders listed fine there. I can pretty much see all the defined
users including the ssh setup based users.

"mkpasswd -cl > /etc/passwd" was the command I have used multiple times.

The weird thing was that the Cygwin+Ssh installation on Win7 was the
easiest of all installations I had done before. It worked for couple
days and stopped yesterday. Something is funky and I cannot figure it
out after spending 10 hours on this. I am sure it is couple minutes fix
if you are an expert on this stuff but that is the best i can do on my own.