[1.7] Updated: cygwin-1.7.0-65

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Mon Nov 23 19:48:00 GMT 2009

Huang Bambo wrote:
>> The leak is a result of the parent process not calling wait(2) or
>> waitpid(2) to reap the child process.
>
> There's some diffirence between cygwin and other *nix:
> In other *nix with this condition, those ended child process could be
> list by ps command with <defunc>tag

How much sense does it make to talk about zombies in the Cygwin world?
As soon as the last Cygwin-using process dies, all these resources are
freed up, right?  Oppose a standalone POSIX kernel, where orphaned
processes get reparented to init(8), which never dies until reboot, and
the kernel can't be restarted without rebooting the whole machine.  On
such a system, zombies are all but unkillable, not like on Cygwin.

Maybe we need another designation.  I suggest "undead skeleton".  Easier
to kill, especially if you have a mace enchanted with shock damage.

> will you fix it?

PTC, I'm sure.